Requirements I Submitted for My Longterm Student Visa Application

CHMNTR - Spanish Visa Requirements

Hey there! This blog post is about the requirements I submitted for my longterm student visa application.

I know it’s been a while since I last posted. I had been terribly busy teaching English online that whenever I get some free time I take a walk or just do… nothing.


My appointment for the long-stay Spanish student visa application is already done and dusted. How was it? Well, to be honest, I prepared for that moment for over a year now, so I felt ready. I was, however, taken aback by some of the questions asked when my name was called. Yes, you read that right: during the visa appointment, you don’t just submit your papers. They also ask you a few questions.

So, did I get it?

The answer is…


I am now about to embark on a new chapter of my life in Spain after my visa approval!

Now, onto the topic of this post. Like I said, I had been preparing for this for a year that it’s what I dream about sometimes. No joke. I had also helped other applicants, and so far, all of the visa applications have been approved. Yay!

Okay, so, here are the requirements I submitted for my longterm student visa application. Before I go on, though, keep in mind the following premises:

  • I am a Filipino applicant to the Auxiliares de Conversación program offered by the Spanish Ministry of Education and Vocational Training (Ministry/Ministerio for short). In other words, I am from the Philippines, living in the Philippines, holding a Philippine passport.
  • The requirements for auxiliares under the Ministry are not as exhaustive as the other student visas and other programs (like BEDA). For example, we don’t need to get a health insurance anymore, because that is included in our program. We also do not need to translate our documents to Spanish.
  • It is my first time to apply for a visa on my own. As in, any kind of visa, without a sponsor. My first visa application for the UAE was lodged by my brother on my behalf (more on that later, maybe).
  • I have been placed in a high school (secundaria) in Madrid.
  • I am applying without any sponsor, meaning I would be supporting myself with the allowance from the Ministry (because I’m a strong, independent woman who don’t need no sponsor *snap!*).
  • In some items I will post my documents, and in others, I will post photos that I found on the Internet, with proper credits. This is for privacy and security reasons, because, you know, Internet. Thanks, Amor Mío, for the reminder.

So! Here we go! Here are the requirements I submitted.

Requirements I Submitted for My Longterm Student Visa Application

  • You need to download the form with 5 pages. The other one with 4 pages is the old version.
  • Fill this out, then paste your passport-size photo
  • Make 2 photocopies of all the pages. The Consulate will return two copies to you, which you will then need to bring to claim your passport.

Passports for Spain Visa Application

  • Your current passport’s expiration date must be at least 3 months after the last month of the school year of the region of your placement. For example, if your school year ends in June 2020, then your passport should be valid at least until September 2020.
  • Photocopy the data page of your current and previous passports.
  • Photocopy all the pages with visas and stamps.
  • They will return your previous passports. They will keep your current passport because this is where they will paste your visa.
  • There is no need to have your photocopies authenticated/apostilled.

Requirements I Submitted for My Longterm Student Visa Application
  • My proof of economic means were: bank certificate, passbook, statement of account, and ITR.
  • I presented my personal checking account which I opened in April 2018.
  • My bank could only provide 3 months’ worth of transaction information, so I included my passbook, too.
  • The ITR I had was the Annual ITR (BIR Form 1700), so it was my ITR for 2018.
  • I requested for the bank certification and bank statement 3 working days before my visa appointment.
  • Your bank certification and bank statement should not be older than 2 weeks leading up to your visa appointment.
  • Provide one photocopy of the bank certificate, passbook’s pages with records, statement of account, and each page of your ITR.
  • There is no need to authenticate or apostille your financial documents.

Requirements I Submitted for My Longterm Student Visa Application
  • The Apostille replaced the Red Ribbon (not the cake brand!), but it is still called Authentication in DFA.
  • My medical documents included 1) the apostille from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), 2) Department of Health (DOH) Certificate of Accreditation, 3) Medical Certificate from the clinic where I had my medical exam, and 4) the pages of the lab and test results.
  • Photocopy all of the pages before you go to the DFA for the apostille. I cannot stress enough how much you need to photocopy before your apostille trip.
  • Photocopy the apostille page, too.

Requirements I Submitted for My Longterm Student Visa Application
  • Of course, keep your personal copy. You don’t need it here.
  • Photocopy your NBI Clearance.
  • Photocopy the apostille page, too.
  • They will return the original to you because you will need to bring this to Spain.
Auxiliar de Conversacion requirement Carta de Nombramiento
  • Make sure you have this document before coming to your appointment. If you don’t have it yet and your appointment is in a few days, cancel your appointment. I heard one story of an incoming auxiliar whose application was denied because he didn’t have this basic requirement with him on the day of his appointment. He appealed when he got the carta, though, and his appeal was approved.
  • Photocopy your carta.
  • There is no need for the carta to be authenticated or apostilled.
Auxiliar de Conversacion requirement University Diploma
  • If you are an undergrad, you will submit your transcript of records in lieu.
  • You can also submit both, if you want.
  • Photocopy this, too. And every page of your transcript of records.
  • There is no need to have your diploma apostilled.

Don’t worry, they will return the following to you right before you leave the Consulate:

  • Photocopies of the Application for National Visa, with the receipt of the amount you paid
  • Previous passport
  • Proof of economic means
  • Medical documents
  • NBI Clearance
  • Carta de Nombramiento
  • University Diploma

Why will they take your Current Passport, you ask? It’s because that’s where they will paste your visa (if you had been granted it, that is).

Requirements I Submitted for My Longterm Student Visa Application
Shown here are the documents returned to me. According to current auxiliares, the only things you bring to Spain from these documents are the NBI Clearance and the carta de nombramiento. You may also bring your diploma to Spain.

As mentioned above, they will return the photocopies of your Application for National Visa, with the receipt of your payment stapled to it. YOU MUST BRING THIS WITH YOU THE DAY YOU’LL PICK UP YOUR PASSPORT. If you don’t have it, then, sorry– you will have to come back another time with it.

Requirements I Submitted for My Longterm Student Visa Application
The Consulate will not return these when you claim your passport with your Spanish visa stamped inside it.

Applying for a visa, any visa, is a nerve-racking experience. I was pretty confident of the process and timelines of the long stay Spanish student visa application by now, but I was stressing out a lot the first week after my appointment. I had not received any email from the Consulate then. They said we’d hear from them in one to two weeks. Then some people started sharing stories of applicants being denied their visas. Ugh.

But I survived. Those two weeks of waiting were the longest of my life by far. But in order to calm your nerves, here are some more tips:

1. Be Prepared!

Remember what you wrote and what are written in your documents. The officers at the Consulate might ask you questions that are written in your documents, just to confirm or to test you. They do write down what you answer to their questions.

Also, be prepared to wait during your appointment. The wait time can take anytime between an hour to two, and your moment with the officer will only take about 5 minutes, depending on how many questions he or she will ask you.

2. Photocopy ALL of your documents!

I cannot stress this enough. Every original document that you will submit must have its corresponding photocopy. There were applicants who were reprimanded (yes, you read it right) by the officer for not photocopying their documents.

Probably what the officer was thinking.

Guys, this is a basic requirement that is written on the Consulate’s website. If you’re unable to bring photocopies, there’s a photocopying service inside the building, but every page costs ₱5.

Also, remember to photocopy your documents before getting them apostilled. And photocopy the apostille pages, too!

There you have it!

I hope that this post has helped you feel more prepared in time for your appointment, or, if you’re joining next year, that this post gave you a clearer picture of what’s ahead. I hope this post, “Requirements I Submitted for My Longterm Student Visa Application” helped you a lot! CM

Do you have any more questions? Post them on the comments section below!


  1. Cairo
    December 4, 2019

    Would the bank book & cert suffice? I don’t have ITR :/

    1. CM
      January 4, 2020


      I always err on the safe side, so I submitted all the docs that I have to prove my financial capacity.

      Some applicants only presented their bank certs and the officer at the Spanish Consulate did not ask for anything else. Their advice is to present the bank cert only, but prepare and bring the other docs that you have. If they ask for more proof during your appointment, then present everything else.

  2. Sayk
    April 21, 2020

    Hi, applied through another program. However, I’m curious about the total expenses for the visa? Sayk

    1. CM
      June 1, 2020

      Hi, Sayk! For the proof of income you have to show that you have enough to last at least the first two months of your stay. The more, the better. I personally think that you should have at least 100,000 PHP.

      You would have to pay for the following. I am indicating the prices I paid in PHP, but keep in mind that prices may vary.

      Medical exam + certificate: 2500 (I used a clinic that handled the processing of the medical certificate for me. Others DIYed so it was a bit cheaper for them.)
      NBI Clearance: 130
      Apostille/Authentication for the medical certificate, medical exam, and NBI clearance: 200 (100 each)
      Bank Statement: Not sure whether I got this for free or not
      Bank Certificate: Not sure whether I got this for free or not
      Visa fee: 4,510 (This is the price published at BLS as of 2020. It was cheaper in 2019)
      TOTAL: 7340

      Prepare around 8000 PHP to include the photocopies and the transportation to get to various offices. Remember that this is on top of the airfare, which you also have to shoulder.

      In addition, since you applied through another program, you would have to cover the costs of translating your documents to Spanish. If I remember it right, it costs an additional 3,000 PHP. So let’s say in your case you’d have to spend around 12,000 PHP for the visa requirements.

  3. Shelly
    June 3, 2020

    Hi CM! Which medical clinic did you go to? The rate seems cheaper than the diagnostic clinic that I know at the moment. Thanks!

    1. CM
      June 3, 2020

      Hi! I went to

      Angelus Medical Clinic
      104 V.A. Rufino St, Legazpi Village, Makati

      No need for an appointment. Just tell them that you are coming to Spain as a student and you need this for the student visa. Bring a copy of your passport. Write “private” under agency.

    2. CM
      June 4, 2020

      Sorry– just checked that they have a new address:

      1730 Dian St., Palanan, Makati

      1. Shelly
        June 5, 2020

        Thank you so much! Been reading your blog a lot! All the best and take care!

        1. CM
          June 5, 2020

          Thank you! I’m glad to know that my blog serves its purpose. 🙂 See you in Spain!

  4. remjo
    June 8, 2020

    Hello! I’m planning to apply for the next year’s batch. May I know what kind of tests are performed during the medical? I want to know if my condition will not enable me to be selected for the program. Hoping for your reply. Thank you so much!

    1. CM
      June 9, 2020

      It’s a pretty basic test, but most of us availed of the package offered by the clinics we went to. You need the blood test, urinalysis, X-ray, and other tests indicating the nonexistence of diseases that may have a serious effect on public health, according to International Sanitary Regulations of 2005. By the way, the medical certificate must show this information. Check the 2020 list of requirements here:

      1. remjo
        June 10, 2020

        ¡Muchas gracias!

        1. CM
          June 16, 2020


  5. Renelyn Lastimosa
    July 1, 2020

    Hi, just wondering what documents did you translate to Spanish? I can’t seem to find detailed info about this. Thanks!

    1. CM
      July 3, 2020

      Hi! I have mentioned somewhere in this very post that because I am with the Ministry, there was no need for me to translate documents to Spanish.

    2. CM
      July 17, 2020

      Hi. As mentioned, I didn’t need to translate any document because I am with the Ministry. But if you want to include a sponsor’s documents as proof of economic means, then they have to be translated. You need a certified translator.

      1. Sunny
        June 9, 2021

        Hi! I’m planning on applying for a student visa with a sponsor and I’m wondering what documents would I need to have translated. Do I need to have everything translated (bank statement of sponsor etc.) or would the Sponsorship letter suffice? Also, would it hurt my application if I have a sponsor even though I’m not a minor?

        1. chmntr1
          June 10, 2021

          Hi! This has been answered here so please check out the comments and the posts. You can also join the FB group. Cheers!

  6. Kathleen Balinong
    July 27, 2020

    Hello! May I ask how much was your pocket money? Thank you so much!

    1. CM
      July 27, 2020

      Hello, Kathleen! I’m not comfortable sharing my personal costs but just be sure to cover the following when you come to Spain:

      – payment for your room/flat’s first month plus deposit (around €300 in smaller cities, so that’s €600)
      – abono transporte (if you are living in a city with a transport card)
      – food (budget around €100 per month, more if you like eating out)
      – sustenance for the first month or more (if in Valencia, save for 4 month’s worth of expenses because the schedule of allowance distribution there has been historically and notoriously delayed)

  7. Nikki
    February 21, 2021

    Hi CM!
    I’m applying for the 2021 batch, do you know when’s the earliest date I could apply for a visa? I think I’ve read that it should be three months, but I can’t find any post about it to confirm. Tya!
    x Nikki

    1. chmntr1
      February 21, 2021

      Hi, Nikki! Yes, the earliest that you can apply is 3 months to your intended date of arrival in Spain.

  8. Diana
    May 23, 2021

    Hi! Thank you for writing this! I am an incoming first year Aux and currently preparing for my visa appointment. I also graduated from UP and I am wondering if our Diploma should be translated since it’s in Filipino? TIA!

    1. chmntr1
      May 24, 2021

      Hello, Diana! Assuming you are an incoming auxiliar with the Ministry, there is no need to have anything translated. One of the photos I posted above shows everything I submitted.

  9. lucille
    June 20, 2021

    I know you already answer the question re: translation. I’ve read in an article that there’s no need to translate the documents except for the acceptance letter from the institution. I’m kind of confuse if it’s applicable to masters program or for language-related programs only. I cannot find an info regarding this. Thank you.

    1. chmntr1
      June 22, 2021

      Hi, Lucille.

      Yes, I already answered this question as it’s a frequently-asked one.

      I can only be certain about the requirements for those applying for a student visa under the Ministry’s language assistants program.
      For the rest of the student visa applications, please refer to the document provided by BLS Philippines. It says: “All documents presented in English must be translated to Spanish by a recognized Spanish translator (traductor jurado) accredited by the Spanish Ministry of foreign Affairs.”

      The link is:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to top
Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :-)