TIE Renewal: Prórroga de Estancia

Prorroga de Estancia

If you are renewing as an auxiliar de conversación and don’t want to go through the hassle of applying for a new visa in your home country, then you must do the TIE renewal. This post discusses the first step: prórroga de estancia. It literally means “extension of stay”.

prórroga de estancia

In previous posts I mentioned that the TIE renewal is a two-step process, the first being the prórroga de estancia and the other being the toma de huellas (fingerprint). You cannot do the toma de huellas without doing the prórroga first. The toma de huellas is the exact same process that you did on your first few months in Spain when you went to the Comisaría to apply for the physical card (your TIE).

To further understand this process, we will try to explain some terms first. I got this info from many auxiliar sources, but I heavily relied on a document created by Ms Becky Harris (thank you, Becky!) that she shared within the Auxiliares de Conversación en Valencia community.


NIE stands for “número de identidad de extranjero“, an alphanumeric identifier that is yours for life. For non-EU citizens, the NIE format is <letter> – <7 numbers> – <letter>. The NIE never changes, and should never change regardless of the visa that you have and will have. There are, however, exceptional cases, mostly related to those who are dual citizens (but that shouldn’t concern most of us, no?). This is usually included in the student visa that the Spanish Consulate will stick on your passport. If it’s not there, don’t panic. There is a way to request for it once you are in Spain.

prórroga de estancia
The NIE is written after under the type of visa provided to you. If it’s not there, don’t worry, as you can request it when you arrive in Spain. Also, ganda ka, ghorl?

NIE Card

The NIE card is what the Spanish government issues EU nationals who are residing in Spain. This is not equivalent to the TIE.

Photo: The One Stop Problem Shop


Okay, here we are. TIE stands for tarjeta de identidad de extranjero. Tarjeta means card, so it’s redundant to say “TIE card” because it’s already a card (just saying). This card allows you, a non-EU national or third-country national (TCN), to stay legally in Spain past the validity of your student visa, which is just for three months. This is not a residency in the Spanish bureaucracy sense of the word. This causes confusion among Spaniards, as even funcionarios sometimes don’t know what the TIE is. They know it as the NIE. Go figure.

prórroga de estancia
The TIE has your NIE, name, nationality, birthdate, address in Spain, the validity of the card, your sex, and your signature. At the back of the card is the name of the school where you are assigned as an auxiliar de conversación. This was my TIE in 2019.

TIE Renewal

You want to stay in Spain and don’t want to go through the experience of getting a visa again. Great! No worries. You can do a TIE renewal instead. The cool thing is that you can start processing this two months (60 days) before the expiration of your TIE or within 90 days after its expiration.

The TIE renewal has two steps: 1) Prórroga de autorización de estancia por estudios, intercambio de alumnos, prácticas no laborales o servicios de voluntariado, and 2) Toma de huellas. In this post, let’s focus on the prórroga de estancia.

What do you need?

I made a “checklist” of the prórroga requirements. Feel free to save this on your photos for reference. I will explain each requirement below.

  • EX-00, Solicitud de autorización de estancia y prórrogas: Fill out the first 2 pages and make 2 copies. You can fill out and download the form here. Make sure that you know exactly to which Extranjería your documents need to be sent, so check your regional sources for the updated list. You will write the address on the “DIRIGIDA A” section at the bottom of the second page of the EX-00 form.
  • Paid TASA (Modelo 790, Código 052): Fill out and download the form here. You must pay it before coming to your appointment. Some auxiliares reported being turned away for not paying the tasa at the time of the appointment, and you don’t want this to happen to you. This year (2021), the tasa costs €17,32. Did you know that you can also pay your tasas through an ATM? Read this post to find out how.
  • TIE: Photocopy the front and back. I just took photos of the front and back of my TIE through Noteblock, saved the photos on my phone, Airdropped them on my laptop, put these two photos together on one page on Google Docs, then printed it.
  • Passport: Some regions require that you photocopy all of the pages of your passport, while some only want the info page, the visa page, and the page where the immigration stamped your date of entry in Spain. Check with your region. Why is this important? In the case of Valencia where I did my prórroga, the administrator reviewed every single page and made sure the copies corresponded to the passport pages.
  • Old carta de nombramiento: The carta from the school written on your TIE.
  • New carta de nombramiento: The carta that you received for the upcoming school year. Some sources say that you can go to the appointment without your new carta, and just submit it within a month of your application.
  • Certificado de Aprovechamiento: This is a form that states that you have satisfactorily completed your requirements and roles as an auxiliar at your school. You can download the template for Madrid here, send it to your coordinator, and have the school director sign and stamp the school seal on the certificate.
  • Insurance Policy: This varies per region. Some regions require that auxiliares staying in Spain in the summer get their own medical insurance, since the auxiliar insurance starts on either the 15th of September or the 1st of October. Other regions just honor the insurance provided by the Ministry as written in the carta.
  • Printed Cita (Appointment) Confirmation: There are a few ways to submit your prórroga application. One of them is going in-person at an extranjería. You need an appointment for in-person submission due to the limitations brought about by COVID-19. Book your appointment through this website. Make sure to print the confirmation sent to your email. If you do not want to go to an extranjería to submit these requirements, then obviously you do not need this.

At your appointment at the Extranjería or during your visit to a Correos, they will either scan all of the documents or take your photocopies, then they will place a sticker on one of the EX-00 forms that you submitted. This is proof that you have had your prórroga application in process. GUARD THIS DOCUMENT!!! You need this to 1) get an autorización de regreso, should you wish to travel outside Spain in the summer, and 2) to get to your toma de huellas appointment.

Okay, I got my documents and sent them to the Extranjería/Correos. Now, what?

Now, you wait.

Seriously, wait.

Normally, it takes 2-3 months to get a resuelto (result). It’s not uncommon to wait for the results for 6 months, either, and–

Waaaaait, back up, back up. What’s this resuelto?!

Remember when you applied for the visa and were dreading whether you would be approved or denied? Well, guess what, it may happen here, too.

GIF: Tenor

Thankfully, here’s an explanation to the results (as in, resuelto):

  • EN TRÁMITE: Your application is being processed
  • EN TRÁMITE – REQUIRIDO: You have a missing or incorrect document
  • RESUELTO – FAVORABLE: Approved. Good job! One less anxiety-inducing item for you.
  • RESUELTO – NO FAVORABLE: Your application was denied. The Extranjería will send a letter to the address you indicated on your EX-00 explaining why your application was denied. Or, you can email the Extranjería and they will send you an electronic letter explaining the reason for the denial. The email is: informacionextranjeria.madrid@correo.gob.es (change the region to the region where you submitted your prórroga application. When this happens, what they advise is to consult with a lawyer.
  • TRÁMITE ARCHIVADO: This means that the Extranjería asked you to submit a document and you failed to send it within the timeframe they provided, so they archived your application. In this case, you can contact the Extranjería and request that they reopen your case, but at this point it is also a good idea to speak with a lawyer.

This is why I advocate for completing the requirements: because I don’t want any of that extra stress of getting a result other than favorable.

I felt like Wonder Woman after getting my resuelto-favorable. GIF: Tenor.

If it helps: with all these documents, I got my Resuelto – Favorable after 1 week.

GIF: Giphy

Was this post helpful? Let me know in the Comments! CM


  1. […] of all, you need to have finished your prórroga de estancia application. Why? Because the government needs to see proof that you have started the application for your TIE […]

  2. Nessa
    April 28, 2021

    How do I know which Extranjería to go to? Say I’m switching from Córdoba to Málaga, where should I submit these docs—Córdoba or Málaga?

    1. chmntr1
      April 30, 2021

      Since your new school will be in Málaga, then obviously it should be sent there. You can either submit the docs directly to the Málaga extranjería, or make an appointment in Córdoba and tell the extranjería there to send your docs to Málaga.

      You have two other options: via your digital certificate if you have it, or through Correos. Just make sure to indicate that your docs should be sent to Málaga.

  3. Shan
    July 16, 2021

    Hey CHMNTR1, How do I check status of prorroga?

    1. chmntr1
      July 17, 2021

      Hi, Shan.

      Click on this link: https://sede.administracionespublicas.gob.es/infoext2/jsp/indexnie.jsp

      Enter your NIE, the date of your prórroga submission, and your birth year. You can also enter the número de expedición which is what’s written on the sticker of your EX-00.

      1. Sam
        July 20, 2021

        Hey CHMNTR1, thanks for the detailed information you have provided. It’s really helpful. I have an important question, I am living in Granada for the summer with a family so which address should I put on my EX-00?

        1. chmntr1
          July 27, 2021

          Write an address that is more permanent– that is, an address where the Extranjería can send the resuelto of your prórroga application. Remember that the timeline for approval can possibly take longer than your stay in Granada, so best to address it to your school if you don’t have a place yet, or to your flat if you aren’t moving houses anytime soon.

  4. Mano
    August 31, 2021

    Hello, thank you for the information. Don’t you need proof of economic means for the renewal?

    1. chmntr1
      August 31, 2021

      Hello, Mano.

      If you’re with the Ministry, then there is no need to provide a bank certificate because your carta de nombramiento will suffice.

  5. Mimi
    September 15, 2021

    Hello, I am applying from a student visa to the prórroga before applying for the TIE. I’m wondering, 1. Do I wait until I receive the approval status of the prórroga to apply for the TIE? And to travel within the waiting period within the Schengen zone isn’t possible only with the prórroga, correct?
    2. When submitting the passport for the prórroga application, only the copies are sent?

    1. chmntr1
      September 15, 2021

      Hi, Mimi!

      1. Yes, you need the resuelto-favorable before you can apply for your new TIE. They are strict with this and they can turn you away without it.
      About traveling within Schengen, this is a little tricky. What I hear people do is apply for an autorización de regreso, but this is technically not valid for travel within Schengen. It’s a risk that you take if you want to travel within Schengen while your prórroga is in process. Some people have had no issues, but there are strict countries.

      2. For the prórroga, you need to photocopy ALL of the passport pages. For the TIE appointment, only the information page.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to top
Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :-)