Happy New Year!
I know, I know. I have been lazy– I mean, busy. Yep, I can’t believe it’s been four months since my last post about how to become an auxiliar de conversacion! And it was published a few days before I finally left Manila.
So, today I’m going to quickly update my blog with one of the hottest topics to date: the Renewal Process. Of course, we’ve been here for three months and we are definitely enjoying our time as auxiliars (Note: I really hope you are). We have four or five months to go, but we’d like to plan way ahead! And that’s perfectly understandable for a few reasons:
- We don’t have to be so worried about the requirements.
- It’s January, and as you know, it’s Profex season!
- We want to get our preferred regions, cities and schools.
Well, fear not, because of first-year renewals (meaning those going on their second year):
- The requirements are fewer than first-time applicants.
- The deadline has been published (at least in the North American Language Assistants website).
- It’s not always the case, but you will likely get your preference if you renew in the same region.
Alright! Let’s find out the basic requirements for renewing for the first time:
Let’s try to explain the requirements further:
- Current Passport – I don’t think I need to explain this, but I’ll clarify the info in the event that you recently renewed your passport. Stay tuned!
- Motivation Letter – A lot of auxiliares say that no one reads this requirement, really, so you can reuse your old motivation letter. However, I always err on the safe side, so I highly suggest that you write a new one. Some also mentioned that because no one reads it, that it’s okay to write it in English. Again, my advise is to practice your Spanish or make a new friend/translator by writing your motivation letter in Spanish.
- Informe del Centro – This is not a recommendation letter; we don’t do recommendation letters here. This is a form that you need to download from the Ministry website. You may fill out the other items there, but this has to be signed by the director of your school, not the coordinator. Ask help from your coordinator to complete this. If you are an auxiliar in two schools, you need an informe for each school.
Note that if you are an auxiliar de conversacion in the Comunidad de Madrid, you have to complete the MOOC as an additional requirement. If you are in another region, check with your coordinator or consejería to confirm whether there are other requirements besides the three listed below. As far as we know, these are the only requirements, same as last year.
Are you preparing your documents already? Let me know! CM