Autorización de Regreso

autorización de regreso

Would you like to travel outside Spain but your TIE has expired? Read on to know about the autorización de regreso.

Ah, the summer vacation.

It’s the perfect time to explore Spain and the rest of the world! It’s when classes are over, and people are out and about, enjoying al fresco lunches or working on their tan.

While all that sounds awesome, keep in mind that as Filipino auxiliares de conversación, we need our TIE to be valid in order to travel to the Schengen Area. This means that you can only travel outside Spain and within the Schengen Area with your valid TIE until 31 May (or 30 June if your first regional assignment is in Madrid).

So, what can I do after my TIE’s expiration?

You can then apply for an autorización de regreso.

An autorización de regreso is a document that is issued to a foreigner while his/her request to extend or renew his/her stay in Spain is in process. The regreso allows you to return to any Spanish port of entry without getting a new student visa from the Philippines, provided that the time outside Spain is not longer than 90 days.

Here’s a sample of an Autorización de Regreso. You usually present this with your valid passport at the border control.
Photo: Studenfy.

What do I need?

Here’s a cute list of the requirements.

First of all, you need to have finished your prórroga de estancia application. Why? Because the government needs to see proof that you have started the application for your TIE renewal. This is why the stamped EX-00 is important. You need that not just for your TIE appointment but for your regreso appointment, as well.

Let’s review the requirements:

  • Formulario EX-13. Feel free to fill out and print just the first two pages, but make sure to make 2 copies of each page. You can download the form here.
  • Stamped EX-00. Remember that you made 2 copies of your EX-00. The Extranjería or Correos kept one copy and returned the other to you, with either a stamp or a sticker. Bring that stamped copy, with a photocopy.
  • Paid Tasa Modelo 790 – Código 052 or 012. Check your province’s tasa requirement, whether it’s 012 or 052, as the requirements are listed on the appointment page. You can fill out the 052 form online here and print it out. Here is the form for Código 012. No need to make copies. As of August 2020, the fee for the regreso is €10,50.
  • Valid Passport. Sources say there is no need to make copies.
  • Expired TIE. If you have it. If not, get a denuncia if you’ve lost your old TIE.
  • Printed Cita (Appointment) Confirmation. In some cases, a screenshot of their appointment was enough to present. You can make an appointment here.
  • Proof of Travel. Some offices will require this, while others don’t; they will just ask you where you are going, or no questions at all. Some officers are stricter than the others. In some cases, they would not issue a regreso if you tell them that you are traveling within the Schengen Area.

Is the regreso valid in all countries?

There have been a lot of discussion about this in websites and auxiliar WhatsApp and Facebook groups.

Technically, autorización de regresos are only valid for entering any Spanish port of entry– this is established. For instance, if you have a flight from Manila, you can only have layover in a city outside of the Schengen Area, like an MNL-BKK-MAD flight (since there are no direct flights from Manila to any part of Spain). You cannot use a regreso for a layover in Berlin to enter Spain, for example.

Also, technically, it is not valid for use within the Schengen Area. The right thing to do is to get a Schengen Tourist Visa when your TIE expires, since we are Philippine passport holders and we do not have the freedom of movement without a visa.

However, a lot of Filipino auxiliares reported that they were able to travel to Schengen countries with just their passport and regreso. And this was even before the lockdown. Due to the extension of TIEs that expired before the end of the state of alarm, some auxiliares were also able to travel to countries like Italy with just their expired TIEs.

As you can see, it’s all very confusing.

If you ask me, I’d rather stay put in Spain to avoid mishaps and to save money. Besides the proof of identification, the regulations per country almost seem to change every hour. For instance, some countries now require tests a few hours before boarding.

Was this post about the autorización de regreso helpful? Let me know in the comments! CM


  1. Rebekah
    April 30, 2021

    Can I apply for autorización de regreso even before my TIE expires? (Provided that I’m already done with prórroga de estancia and just waiting for the result)

    1. chmntr1
      May 1, 2021

      Yes, provided that you have already done the prórroga de estancia application and you have the resguardo to prove it.

  2. Alyana
    May 4, 2021

    Thank you for this informative post!! Just a question, when flying back to Spain from Manila, I just show my regreso and that would be enough? Or should I show other supporting documents like my carta, TIE, etc.?

    1. chmntr1
      May 5, 2021

      I’ve honestly never gotten a regreso (I haven’t left Spain since I got here), but, as always, bring whatever document you can to support your return to Spain. Also, based on comments from other Pinoy auxiliares, try to avoid having a layover in Hong Kong, because it’s usually where they encountered problems (some staff do not consider the regreso as proof to return to Spain).

      1. Espie
        May 31, 2021

        Hi CM! For those with the HKG layover and had problems with their regreso, do you know what they did to get back to Spain? I booked Cathay Pacific for my return trip and I don’t want to experience this too. Thank you!

        1. chmntr1
          June 2, 2021

          Hi. I think in 2018 someone had to contact the Spanish embassy or the Philippine embassy to explain the situation. It was a very stressful time for the aux. It was resolved when she contacted the Spanish Consulate in HKG and the Spanish Consulate wrote a letter stating that her TIE is a valid document for her to enter Spain. She also contacted the education adviser at the time. Also, her TIE was still valid then.

          I can’t remember exactly when, but there was another person who talked about having issues with HKG staff not recognising specific documents as valid (such as a TIE or a regreso).

          During our orientation in Manila in 2019 we were advised to avoid HKG if we can. So hope this gives you an idea about what might happen.

  3. Niño
    May 25, 2021

    Hi Chai! Very helpful blog. I, too, am a Filipino based in Madrid – studied Post Grad in a Spanish university. Do you have any ideas about working permits, I am looking around. However, the job market and the Non-EU status is a hurdle. Thanks and take care.

    1. chmntr1
      May 26, 2021

      Hi, Niño! Thank you. 🙂

      If you have just finished your degree or about to, you can apply for the “Permiso de Residencia por Búsqueda de Empleo”/job seeking visa– this allows you to legally stay in Spain for a year while you are looking for a company that’s willing to hire you AND go through the paperwork for third-country nationals.

      You can also look for a company that is willing to process a “highly-skilled work visa”. This visa type is usually for those working in tech and primarily earn more than €50.000 annually.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to top
Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :-)